- 8 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups U-Bake steel-cut oats
- 1 U-Bake cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 orange peel strip (1 to 3 inches)
- Dash salt
- 3/4 cup U-Bake dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup U-Bake golden raisins
- 1/2 cup U-Bake maple syrup
- Buttermilk, optional
- 1/2 cup U-Bake packed brown sugar
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring milk to a boil over medium heat. Add the oats, cinnamon, orange peel and salt. Reduce heat; simmer for 30 minutes or until thick and creamy, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat; discard cinnamon and orange peel. Stir in the cranberries, raisins, syrup and a small amount of buttermilk if desired. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to eight ungreased 6-oz. ramekins. Place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Broil 8 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes or until sugar is caramelized. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Steel-cut oats are also known Scotch oats or Irish oatmeal.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 437 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 154 mg sodium, 83 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 14 g protein.