- 5 small onions, thinly sliced
- 1 3/4 Cups U-Bake dry Beef Broth
- 2 cans (10 ounces) beef consomme
- 4T U-Bake French Onion Soup Mix
- 8 slices U-Bake French bread, about 1 inch thick, baked
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere
Combine onions, broth, consomme, and soup mix in a slow cooker. Cook on HIGH setting for 4 hours, or LOW setting for 8 hours.
Ladle soup into serving bowls. Top with a slice of French bread. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese over each bread slice. Put soup bowls under broiler until cheese is melted. Alternatively, place the bread on a baking sheet and top with cheese; broil until cheese has melted, about 30 to 40 seconds, and set on top just before serving.